Saturday, June 5, 2010

GDYNIA Polish Market at the Allentown Farmer's Market


I think you all realize by now that it has become my goal to investigate as many foods outside of my culinary safety zone as I can. Being of Italian/German descent, with more of an emphasis on the Italian, food of all ethnicities has always been intriguing but cooking it is another story.

With this is mind, my mom and I paid a visit to the Allentown Farmer’s Market on Friday. With my daughter's camera and my debit card we walked down the aisles in search of something fun that would make a delicious meal and interesting blog.

Okay, let's tell the whole truth, we got through the double doors and stopped at Charlie K's Pizza for 2 slices of plain pizza and a medium root beer. Mom and I always talk about eating somewhere else, but we always end up on a red bar stool laughing and enjoying our pizza.

We walked down the first aisle snapping pictures and talking to vendors (I got a lot of stuff for a few days worth of blogging) until we ended up at GDYNIA Polish Market. Everything in the cases looked delicious, Mr. & Mrs. Brodowski looked up and smiled making me feel like maybe this was the adventure I needed today.

So, 15 minutes later after talking to the Brodowskis and a lovely young woman who helped with a few words of translation, we walked out of there with about two pounds of the most delicious and juicy looking Polish sausages, Kielbasa and Kapusta Sauerkraut this side of the Atlantic as well as rough directions on how to prepare it. Did you know that Polish sauerkraut has shredded carrots in it? Have I ever told you I am not a huge fan of the "carrot"? Well I gave it a shot anyway. So here you go:












Polish Sausage and Sauerkraut

2 lbs. Fresh Polish Sausage from GDYNIA Polish Market

2 lb. Kapusta Sauerkraut

1 cup water

1 onion, sliced

4 tblsps. butter

salt/pepper to taste


Place sauerkraut into a colander and squeeze out excess juices. In a heavy bottomed frying pan on medium – high heat, sauté sliced onion in butter until translucent and lightly browned. Add sauerkraut and ½ cup water, stir well. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.

Slice sausage into 3-4 inch pieces and lay on top of sauerkraut. Add remaining water. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until sausage is hot through and slightly plumped. Salt and pepper as needed.










Now let me tell you a little bit about this meal. First, my husband, despite being 100% Pennsylvania German, just hates pretty much anything having to do with cabbage, sauerkraut is not an exception. But he is now a convert. I think its because all that sour juice from the sauerkraut was squeezed out and didn't have such a bite. It also didn't have that really "hey you must be making sauerkraut" smell that takes over the house for a few days either, which in my book is a really good thing.

So the vote was unanimous, we will be going back to GDYNIA in the near future for all of our Polish sausages and to see what else we can try.

GDYNIA Polish Market at the Allentown Farmer’s Market offers a dozen different kinds of fresh Polish meats and cheeses as well a multitude of other products direct from Poland to tempt your palate into trying one of each and everything they offer.

hugs!

dina

3 comments:

  1. I sort of wish I could have tasted the sausage... it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got some a few days ago and the best!! Do they ship?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very delicious, fresh and best ever food. Sausages tastes exactly same as in Poland.

    ReplyDelete