Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sometimes its All About the Beverage You Serve

I know a lot of the articles I've been sharing have been all about food, but I have to tell you, sometimes its all about the beverage.

Here in the Lehigh Valley we have a great community of vineyards. I have my favorites listed on the side of the blog with links to their sites, but today I am going to focus on just one of them, Franklin Hills Vineyards. It is located in Bangor, PA, but has several satellite locations that sell their wines so that we don't have to drive 45 minutes into the mountains to get our fix.

My favorite location is in The Shoppes at the Main Street Commons in Historic Downtown Bethlehem, PA. Not only do they have great wines, but the shop is chock full of great gift items for you and your favorite wino :o).

Currently, I've been drinking a lot of their Simply Red, it is a very nice table red that is not too dry or too sweet. I've been getting a bottle every Thursday because the shoppe in Bethlehem is located right across the street from the Sun Inn and during the months of May and June they play host to Tunes at Twilight, a free night of music provided by local bands. I find that it pairs well with everything we've been eating from the local restaurants on concert night. So far I've enjoyed it with eggplant pasta from Mama Nina's, hot dogs from the Sun Inn and just last week I drank it while eating an Italian BLT from the Apollo Grill. Not sure what it is on the menu for dinner this Thursday, but I can assure you, Simply Red will be in my travel wine glass.

I'm sure you realize that Simply Red is not the only wine creations they offer. There are several other great choices too, so let's move onto something we decided to do for fun with a few of their fruit wines.

During one of the concert nights last spring we bought a bottle of their Envy wine, it is a green apple that is bright and tart and the prettiest green you've ever seen and also seasonal. Never one to just be satisfied with what I have and always looking for the next burst of new flavor, a group of my girlfriends and I decided that these fruit wines might make a great base for martinis. We were right on the money! We took that bottle of Envy and a bottle of green apple vodka and mixed it 2-1, shook it with some ice and voila a very yummy martini that packs a very nice punch was born.

Did we stop there? Absolutely NOT!

Franklin Hills also offers the following wines and thanks to vodka brands like Three Olives, Van Gogh and Absolut who have introduced dozens of flavor infused vodkas to the marketplace the martini combinations are endless.

Passion (Strawberry-Kiwi)
Desire (Mango)
Bliss (Blueberry)
Fainting Goat (Black Cherry)

For even more ideas on how to use these wines, visit their website for some delicious recipes for both beverages and food.

I hope you will take a few minutes the next time you are in the area to visit our Wine Trail, while we are not the Finger Lakes in NY, we sure do have a good thing growing in the Lehigh Valley.

Cin Cin!
dina

No comments:

Post a Comment